An unregistered plumber could have been forced to pay injury compensation if the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) had not caught him working illegally on gas boilers.
Anthony Grove of McDivitt Walk, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex was fined £850 by Southend Magistrates’ Court and ordered to pay £500 in costs after pleading guilty to working illegally on a boiler and exposing his customers to risks.
He replaced old boilers at two properties in Rayleigh and in Lovelace Gardens, Southend, between May and September 2009, after giving the owners false CORGI registration details.
"When unqualified workers try to bypass the law in this way they are not only putting themselves at risk of prosecution and a large fine, they are also putting their customers’ lives at risk," said HSE Inspector Steve Hook.
According to the HSE, carbon monoxide kills around 20 people a year.
It warns that the gas is particularly dangerous as it cannot be seen, tasted or smelt and can kill quickly or cause serious harm to health such as paralysis and brain damage.
Posted by Alison Spriggs