Staffordshire man shocked by overhead cables

Firms have been warned that they could face injury compensation claims if they fail to ensure machinery is operated safely near overhead cables, following an incident in which a Staffordshire man was badly shocked.

Andrew Perry was operating the control lever of a waste materials truck in Staffordshire when the arm touched a set of 33,000-volt electric cables overhead.

The electricity blasted him from his vehicle and threw him to the ground, leaving his with serious burns on his hands and feet.

Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Lynne Boulton said Mr Perry was lucky not to have lost his life in the incident.

"It’s important to remember that machinery and equipment do not need to touch power lines for electricity to be transmitted because it can arc or jump across gaps," she commented.

HSE recently reminded farmers of the dangers of operating farm machinery, after a competition at the Royal Highland Show revealed a large safety knowledge gap.ADNFCR-2070-ID-19351186-ADNFCR

Staffordshire man shocked by overhead cables

call now 

01329 227974