Pet food co fined after fatal work injury

A manufacturer of pet food has been fined GBP 100,000 and ordered to pay costs after an employee was tragically killed in a work injury.

John O’Connor, 38, was working at Butcher’s Pet Care in 2003 when an automatic palletising machine crushed him to death.

The machine, which is used to transport cans of pet food, should have been enclosed with an interlock system to prevent anybody from gaining access until the power could be shut off.

Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Neil Craig said that Mr O’Connor’s fatal work injury was "far from this being an isolated incident".

"The unfenced gap between the stair rails had been there for nearly two years and it had become common practice for employees to nip through it to fix problems on the machine in an effort to keep the production line running."

It comes soon after a Grangemouth-based company was fined following an incident in which an employee suffered a serious electric shock.ADNFCR-2070-ID-19445623-ADNFCR

Pet food co fined after fatal work injury

call now 

01329 227974