Landlords warned to ensure gas safety

Tenants and landlords are being reminded of the dangers associated with unsafe gas installations.

Gas facilities installed by unqualified fitters put residents at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and explosions, and could result in a hefty injury compensation claim for the property owner.

The warning follows the recent prosecution of Sandeep Rajput after two of his tenants in Smethwick complained of feeling unwell and contacted the gas supplier, resulting in the discovery of a leaking pipe.

Mr Rajput had failed to obtain a gas safety certificate for the property for almost two years while tenants had been living there.

He was fined £1,200 and ordered to pay £1,748 in costs by West Bromwich magistrates’ court.

Chair of the bench Mr Michael Vaughan commented on the seriousness of the case, adding: "On average 20 people are killed every year as a result of faulty gas appliances."

The news comes soon after a landlord with 193 properties across the UK was warned not to repeat the failings that led to his prosecution, after he failed to provide a tenant with a gas safety certificate.ADNFCR-2070-ID-19100219-ADNFCR

Landlords warned to ensure gas safety

call now 

01329 227974