A Maidstone family has won a four-year battle for injury compensation after their daughter received an electric shock in a Kenyan hotel that could have killed her.
Alexandra Miles, who was 11 years old when she suffered the shock on holiday, was left partially paralysed with severe trauma to her heart.
She was taken to hospital in an ambulance that was so ill-equipped that medics had to use the stopwatch on her mother’s mobile phone to check her pulse.
"We were terrified we were going to lose our only child. It was just appalling," commented her mother Joanna.
At the time the hotel offered just a free meal and a bottle of wine by way of apology, but the Miles family’s fight for proper injury compensation has ended in a payout of GBP 52,000.
The news follows reports that an angry blogger who accused Thomson of mis-selling a holiday has received an apology and compensation after his blog beat the travel company in search rankings.