A couple of newlyweds are to receive compensation after their honeymoon turned from a dream-come-true into a nightmare.
Francis and Beverley Mayes, from Norwich, headed to the Dominican Republic after they tied the knot for two weeks in the sun, the Advertiser 24 reports.
Instead, 49-year-old Mr Mayes, from Wherry Road, was forced to lie in a hospital bed after being struck by a severe bout of salmonella and amoebic dysentery.
His illness was so bad that the couple had to extend their stay by a further week while Mr Mayes completed his hospital treatment.
Since the hellish trip, the couple discovered that they were not the first people to fall seriously ill at the five-star Gran Bahia Principe Hotel, in Cayacoa, in May last year.
The Mayes’ made a compensation claim against the agents behind the trip and, a year on, tour operator TUI UK Ltd has admitted liability.
Today, Rhodes Food Group issued a statement that it is recalling the mild and hot versions of Rhodes Chakalaka as a pH variation that could cause food poisoning resulting in compensation claims was found in the products.
Posted by Wayne Weir