Boiler explosion prompts safety warnings

People responsible for housing have been warned that they face injury compensation claims and fines if they do not maintain their properties, after Severn Vale Housing Society was prosecuted over a boiler explosion that killed a tenant.

Christine Goodall, 65, was killed in her Gloucestershire home in November 2007 when an incorrectly decommissioned boiler exploded after she lit it.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the back boiler had not been fully drained, but left in a sealed condition, causing the residual water to build up pressure when lit.

"Anyone who thinks they might have a redundant back boiler in potentially dangerous circumstances should never light a fire in the fireplace until they have sought professional advice," advised HSE inspector Caroline Bird.

It follows news that a London property developer was last month fined GBP 10,000 by the HSE after it was revealed that he had put workers at two different sites at risk of injury.ADNFCR-2070-ID-19501877-ADNFCR

Boiler explosion prompts safety warnings

call now 

01329 227974