An accident at work which resulted in an employee suffering a high voltage electrical shock has led to a stationery firm being fined.
The worker was investigating a fault on a plastic welding machine at Chart Design Ltd in Wembley in June 2007 when his fingers came into contact with components carrying several thousand volts, causing permanent damage.
As a result, the firm pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 at the City of London Magistrates’ Court and was fined GBP 4,000, along with costs of GBP 6,330.
Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Kerry Williams commented: "It is the responsibility of all managers to make sure that all maintenance work is properly planned and recorded and that adequate guards are fitted to all machinery when it is in use."
It comes after Richard Clarke, an inspector for the HSE, recently said that taking simple measures can often prevent severe injury or even deaths resulting from accidents at work.
Posted by Trevor Baker