14-year-old boy injured on work experience

Schools have been urged to improve their safety credentials to avoid facing injury compensation claims after a pupil was injured on work experience.

Work experience placement company Make Learning Work was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and ordered to pay costs of GBP 22,000 after the 14-year-old student was hurt at R&B Motor Services.

During a petrol draining operation the boy received a burn injury to his left hand, after which it emerged that Make Learning Work had failed to carry out any risk assessment at the garage.

"This should send a clear message to all involved in work experience placements that risk assessments are vital," commented HSE inspector John Healy.

"In this case, the consequences could have been much more serious."

HSE recently warned farmers across the country to consider the risks their premises may pose to youngsters playing on their land during the summer months.ADNFCR-2070-ID-19355984-ADNFCR

14-year-old boy injured on work experience

call now 

01329 227974